Is It Safe To Share Your Raw sushi With Your Dog

One of many questions asked by new dog owners has been “can dogs eat raw sushi grade salmon?” The answer is a resounding “yes”. It is completely safe for your dog to eat raw salmon in moderation, but you should be aware of possible risks. Raw salmon may have parasites and toxins. If your dog eats salmon that is too raw for you to consume, they could develop salmon poisoning disease.


Moderation is key

To avoid harmful food toxins, scientists and researchers recommend consuming sushi in moderation. Because the fish contains a high level of mercury, halibut, flounder and kohada can be contaminated with toxins.

The American Heart Association recommends 12 ounces of low-mercury seafood each week. For salmon, this amount is less. Once you’ve had your fill, you can keep leftover sushi in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. The texture may change, but it shouldn’t harm you.


Salmon poisoning

If your dog has recently eaten raw fish, you should take them to the veterinarian as soon as possible. The sooner the condition is diagnosed, the better the chances of successful treatment. Your veterinarian will need to know exactly what you fed your dog and whether it ate raw sushi grade salmon. However, the good news is that salmon poisoning is usually treatable if detected and treated quickly. Make sure to tell your veterinarian if you suspect your dog has consumed raw fish.



Some people wonder can dogs eat raw sushi grade salmon. Though salmon itself is a great source of protein, sushi may contain some persin, a toxin that can cause digestive problems in dogs. Even small amounts of this ingredient can be harmful. As a result, sushi chefs should avoid including this ingredient in their dishes. Avocado skin is another possible hazard. This ingredient contains a bacteria called persin, which can be harmful to dogs.



If your dog is a fan of sushi, you may be wondering if you can let him or her have a piece of it. The answer depends on the size, type, and artificial seasonings. Sushi is generally safe for dogs to eat up to five to ten percent of its daily diet. Teacup breeds should be limited to one-third to one-half slice. While wasabi is not poisonous to dogs, it can cause digestive issues and local discomfort.



Parasites in raw fish

Many fish species, including raw sushi grade salmon, can contain parasites. Parasites in sushi can cause an illness known as anisakis, which is also known as herring worm disease. Anisakis is caused by eating raw or undercooked fish. Fortunately, most sushi is not raw. But the problem still exists. Parasites are present in all types of seafood, not just salmon.


Symptoms of thiaminase poisoning

Freshwater salmon and tuna may contain bacteria that can harm dogs. Salmon poisoning can be fatal if not treated in time. In addition to bacteria, salmon can contain parasites, such as the deadly Neorickettsia helminthoeca. Dogs should never eat raw salmon or tuna because it contains the harmful enzyme thiaminase. While it is generally safe for dogs to eat cooked tuna, raw fish is not recommended.